Preparing your business for the UCI Road World Cycling Championships
From Saturday 21 – Sunday 29 September, our region will welcome the best cyclists from around the world for the Yorkshire 2019 Para-cycling International and UCI Road World Cycling Championships, with around 70 countries represented in time trials and road races.
The Para-cycling races will pass through Knaresborough on the first day of racing (Saturday 21 September) en-route to Harrogate. This will be one of the biggest Para-cycling events in history and a qualifier for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
There is lots of information available on how you can prepare your business and customers for the event. See the guidelines and links to useful websites below.
Note that some information below may be subject to change, so please check the official website links for the most up to date information.
UCI EVENT OVERVIEW
- The UCI is the worldwide governing body for cycling
- The UCI Road World Championships are one of the World’s largest cycling events with around 70 countries represented
- All teams race in national colours with the chance to win the iconic rainbow jersey (blue, red, black, yellow and green). The winner can then wear this in every race the following year
- The Championships include men’s and women’s races, across three age groups: Junior (age 17-18), Under 23 and Elite
- Approximately 3 million + roadside spectators and a predicted global TV audience of over 250 million
- 6000 – 7000 riders, officials and support staff
- Full week of live coverage on the BBC
- All races will end in Harrogate, meaning that competitors, support staff and spectators will remain in the local area
- Average stay is 4-5 nights for international visitors and 3-4 nights for UK visitors. Most accommodation in the district is already full, but Harrogate Tourist Information have a list of available rooms
- The event organiser is Yorkshire 2019 Ltd, a company which is has been set up specially to deliver the event and has offices in Harrogate and Leeds
- For the first time ever, a UCI-sanctioned International Para-cycling event will take place alongside the UCI Road World Championships.
- The Para-cycling races will pass through Knaresborough on Saturday 21 September. This will be one of the biggest Para-cycling events in history and is a qualifier for the Tokoyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
- Knaresborough Chamber have also organised a community event in Knaresborough Market Place and Castle grounds on Saturday 21 September (11am – 9pm) to coincide with the Para-cycling events
MARKETING AND LOGOS
- The UCI branding must not be copied or recreated by anyone, anywhere (unless you are an official sponsor of the event).
- You must use the bespoke Knaresborough Welcomes the World logo on any advertising, rather than the official UCI one. You can download it here: http://bit.ly/2Y51gUS
- Think of creative ways to advertise your business to the aerial tv crews and global audience
- Use social media to build interest in the lead up to and during the event
Saturday 21 September
- The races will approach Knaresborough on 21 September via Spofforth and Little Ribston and continue on towards Ripley
- All Knaresborough car parks will be open as normal, except the Market Place. However, the road from Little Ribston, the High Street and Bond End will have restricted access due to the Para-cycling races from 11.45 until 16:30 (with full closures from 1.15 – 4pm), meaning that it may not be possible to leave some car parks within those times (please check exact times here closer to the event: https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/uci-road-world-cycling-championships).
Throughout the UCI Championships
- Travel in the area may be restricted or subject to delays throughout the Championships, so please use the resources below to plan ahead. Knaresborough specific road closures will only be in place on Saturday 21 September.
- During race times, the best way to move around within the restricted areas will be on foot or by bike
FAQS AND USEFUL LINKS
- Official website of event organisers: http://Yorkshire2019.co.uk (all race routes, UCI FAQs and event information)
- Para-cycling event (Sat 21 Sept): https://worlds.yorkshire.com/the-races/yorkshire-2019-para-cycling-international (Para-cycling classifications, Para-cycling race routes and downloadable event information)
- Road closures (Sat 21 – Sun 29 September): https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/uci-road-world-cycling-championships (see Road Closures by Location F – L for Knaresborough closure times)
- Logo toolkit: http://bit.ly/2Y51gUS (click on Knaresborough and then either the jpeg or png folders to access the full range of Knaresborough logos. If you double click on an individual logo it should fill your screen and then you will see a download button in the top right hand corner. This is the downward arrow and tray icon)
- Event FAQs and Facts: https://worlds.yorkshire.com/championships-info/faqs
- Harrogate Borough Council guidance for businesses: https://www.harrogate.gov.uk/uci (Guidance sheets for businesses and events, logos, promotional videos)
- Accommodation: https://www.visitharrogate.co.uk/events/uciworlds2019/worlds-places-to-stay